Friday, February 12, 2016

Sissieretta Jones by Tyehimba Jess : Poetry Magazine

Sissieretta Jones by Tyehimba Jess : Poetry Magazine: I sing this body ad libitum, Europe scraped raw between my teeth until, presto, “Ave Maria” floats to the surface from a Tituba 
tributary of “Swanee.” Until I’m a legato darkling whole note, my voice shimmering up from the Atlantic’s hold; until I’m a coda of sail song whipped in salted wind; until my chorus swells like a lynched tongue; until the nocturnes boiling beneath the roof of my mouth extinguish each burning cross. I sing this life in testimony to tempo rubato, to time stolen body by body by body by body from one passage to another; I sing tremolo to the opus of loss. I sing this story staccato and stretto, a fugue of blackface and blued-up arias. 
I sing with one hand smoldering in the steely canon, the other lento, slow, languorous: lingered in the fields of “Babylon’s Falling” ... /

Search This Blog

Literary Blogs

Journal and Press Blogs

  • Dina Nayeri Interview “What makes life and fiction important and interesting and meaningful is for it to be examined...” Dina Nayeri talks to Bill Kenowe...
    3 hours ago
  • Janet Lunn, the beloved children's author whose historically rich novels and non-fiction inspired many writers to follow in her footsteps, died this week a...
    18 hours ago
  • Your space to discuss the books you are reading and what you think of them - Are you on Instagram? Then you can be featured here by tagging your bo...
    3 days ago
  • We’ve always burned people alive, beheaded them, gassed them, and Énard doesn’t fail to remind us. The post The Other in Oneself | Review of Compass by M...
    1 month ago
  • Natalie Lyalin SO WHAT, THE CLOUDS So what, the clouds with a piercing gold haze so a red feather stuck to my foot The gull’s squawk, so what Mother, fathe...
    2 months ago
  • I don’t like jazz. Therefore, I had immediate misgivings when confronted with the pastel-painted jazz scene adorning the cover of Hannah Lowe’s latest coll...
    3 months ago
  • That scene in The Wizard of Oz where the farmhouse is spinning through the sepia-coloured sky (2:25 below). Dorothy lies concussed inside then wakes to loo...
    5 months ago
  • Poetry: Jennifer LoveGrove: JENNIFER LOVEGROVE is the author of the Giller Prize longlisted novel Watch How We Walk, as well as two poetry collections: I ...
    6 months ago
  • Carmine Starnino Robert Moore Nyla Matuk Monarch Tavern
    8 months ago
  • After some legal wrangling, a letter from Neal Cassady to Jack Kerouac will be offered at auction.
    1 year ago

Prose Blogs