Friday, January 24, 2014

Puritan Authors Discuss Their Craft // Kathryn Mockler

Puritan Authors Discuss Their Craft // Kathryn Mockler



dog1
Start As You Will Go On, David Poolman (2004-5)
Past Puritan author (and Rusty Toque and Joyland editor) 

Kathryn Mockler discusses her poems (from way back in Issue 9: Winter 2010!) and the digital drawings and political unrest that inspired them.

“Global Warming” and “Gun Shots” are early versions of poems from my second poetry book, The Saddest Place on Earth (DC Books, 2012).

I started writing these poems in 2004, and the initial inspiration came from a series of digital drawings that my husband, David Poolman, was working on called Start As You Will Go On (2004-5).

After September 11th, I realized I wasn’t as informed as I should be about world events, so I made it my mission to know what was going on outside of my bubble. By 2004, I became particularly obsessed with the absurdity of the Iraq War and the media’s portrayal of it. The problem with being more informed is that it can lead to deep feelings of helplessness and despair, which I think set the tone for many of the poems in this collection.


READ MORE

Search This Blog

Literary Blogs

Journal and Press Blogs

  • How to Shop at the Strand (or any good bookstore) with Michael Orthofer & Tyler Cowen Book reviewer Michael Orthofer and economist Tyler Cowen take up th...
    6 hours ago
  • A coast-to-coast round-up of the summer's literary festivals and events.
    8 hours ago
  • Your space to discuss the books you are reading and what you think of them - Are you on Instagram? Then you can be featured here by tagging your bo...
    13 hours ago
  • We’ve always burned people alive, beheaded them, gassed them, and Énard doesn’t fail to remind us. The post The Other in Oneself | Review of Compass by M...
    5 weeks ago
  • Natalie Lyalin SO WHAT, THE CLOUDS So what, the clouds with a piercing gold haze so a red feather stuck to my foot The gull’s squawk, so what Mother, fathe...
    2 months ago
  • I don’t like jazz. Therefore, I had immediate misgivings when confronted with the pastel-painted jazz scene adorning the cover of Hannah Lowe’s latest coll...
    2 months ago
  • That scene in The Wizard of Oz where the farmhouse is spinning through the sepia-coloured sky (2:25 below). Dorothy lies concussed inside then wakes to loo...
    5 months ago
  • Poetry: Jennifer LoveGrove: JENNIFER LOVEGROVE is the author of the Giller Prize longlisted novel Watch How We Walk, as well as two poetry collections: I ...
    6 months ago
  • Carmine Starnino Robert Moore Nyla Matuk Monarch Tavern
    8 months ago
  • After some legal wrangling, a letter from Neal Cassady to Jack Kerouac will be offered at auction.
    1 year ago

Prose Blogs